Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Your Happiness Gland


No, its not there. Pervert.  lol

The "happiness gland" I'm referring to still hasn't been located by medical science. Nobody can pinpoint that place in the brain- the location that decides to release the neurotransmitters that cause the physiological response that your prefrontal cortex, then decides is happy. Whatever medical science knows or doesn't know about emotions, it can say with absolute certainty that the process happening at a molecular level to produce joy is NOT connected in any way to a person's legs or feet. Yup. You heard me right. You don't need to be able to walk to be happy. Just ask anybody who is wheelchair bound. He or she will probably tell you (esp. if they have been rollin from the time that most learn to walk) that feeling your feet is over-rated.

Of all the things I was worried about when we got the diagnoses, the possibility of Evangeline not walking was what stressed me the least. The hydrocephalus was my biggest fear and we've faced that one and come out with the dreaded shunt no worse for the wear. *insert sigh of relief here*  When she was born wiggling her toes against the odds and the warnings, I was overjoyed of course but her toes weren't what made her so special to me. It was all of her. All she was going to be and do and see and love and laugh about.

Her orthopedic doctor has told us good things early on about her ability to walk unaided.  So have many other professionals.  Today, however, at her  P/T eval she was examined in depth.  The p/t said for the first time today that she may need to use a walker and other orthotics when the time comes to walk. She has some muscle tone issues in her arms and torso as well as her legs. This is why she isn't weight bearing and can't roll over. The extent of her current situation was a surprise, but it didn't upset me.  All afternoon I have wondered why images of a tiny, shiny pink walker didn't disturb me the way they probably should. Then, after returning from getting groceries, I sat down all tired out and asked her how her time with Grammy had been. She laughed at me. I asked her if she'd really had fun. She laughed some more. I asked if she was putting me on.  She giggled riotously.  And I laughed too.  Nope.  Her happiness gland is definitely not connected to her feet or legs or any other part of her chubby little body. Its a good life.

"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 131:14

No comments:

Post a Comment