Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Hormones and OBGYNs

So, this week has been eventful. Mostly because pregnancy hormones are kickin' my butt.  I've contracted a condition I've heard called "placenta brain". I've already had to write myself umpteen notes throughout the week to remember who I'm supposed to call/e-mail for work and when. But those helpful notes can never protect me from the awkward pauses when somebody asks me something simple- something I KNOW I know the answer to- only to be forced to meet them with a drooling blank stare.  It takes me much longer to process the simple English involved in the question and much, much longer to access the information the person needs.  Perhaps this is where the term, "pregnant pause" originated?  Because the pregnant lady just looks at you like she hasn't even heard you while you just stand there, wondering if there is anyone else you can ask.

Also, I probably should be restricted from operating heavy machinery. On the way to the OB, I made a wrong turn, decided to go to the doctor another way so I wouldn't have to back track. So  then I zigged or something when I should have zagged, going in a second wrong direction. Then I missed my exit, had to end up turning around, missed the exit I should have dropped off on to turn around, finally got going the right way, only to get lost in  the parking garage. It was at this point I melted down. It was a total "I'm a little teapot moment". You know, with lots of "hear me shout" thrown in for good measure.

The good news is, that when I finally got to the doctor's office I LIKED them. I was nervous going to this new OB as it is a bigger practice and I was worried about becoming "just another brick in the wall" of preggos who frequent their establishment. But my worries were unfounded; I saw two people today: a Nurse Practitioner and a Physician. They both took time with me and answered my questions and were friendly and personable. I am glad to know I'll be in good hands on delivery day.  Speaking of delivery day, because I and baby are in otherwise good health, they plan to wait till 39 weeks to do the delivery. So that puts me around the 5-6th of September. Looks like little girl will get her sapphire birthstone after all!  Of course they will be monitoring me at my million appointments between now and then to make sure she doesn't need to come sooner. Now, all this letting my little cookie bake the extra weeks means she has time to fatten up and be healthy, but it also risks her coming unannounced. I'm OK with that. A girl's got a prerogative to show up to a party on her own schedule. Especially since it is her party after all!

Oh! To close out my blog... I shall share with you a funny my doctor shared with me today as he was chasing down Evangeline to hear her heartbeat. I was telling him about being so tired lately. He laughed and said that a friend of his wife's had explained this perfectly from a medical perspective, (Picture the doctor lapsing into an Alabama accent as he said this. You could also almost see the rolling eyes and hear the sound of popping gum in his wife's friend's mouth as he mimicked her explanation). "Honey, of course you're tired, you're growing lungs and sh**!"   

"A joyful heart is a good medicine..." Proverbs 17:22

2 comments:

  1. So glad to hear everything is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the funny, never thought of it that way, gross...lucky girl w/ the Sapphire, that is my fave stone...everybody always tells me I'm the lucky one w/ diamond, but you always end up w/ rhinestones:D
    hugs, Deby

    ReplyDelete