Tuesday, August 9, 2011

C Section Questions Answered

Well, my Ob appointment today went great! And to think...I only have two more to go (plus 1 more MFM apt.) before "the big day"!  Evangeline is doing super and I got a few questions answered.  My first was about latex precautions. 72% of SB babies develop a latex allergy and the spina bifida association recommends that SB babies be exposed to as little latex as possible. I asked my doctor how I would arrange this at the hospital. Was there some kind of form?  As it turns out, he already does latex free so its just a matter of discussing it with NICU to see what their plan is. So, that's one thing down.

My second big question was would I get to hold her after delivery. Hospitals differ on whether or not they will allow parents to do this before the baby has had surgery to close the opening in the spine. I knew our hospital has a big paranoia about infection in their smallest patients so I wasn't surprised when he told me "no" to holding her.  I then asked if they'd do a "drive by" in her little incubator and push her near me so I could see her, maybe touch her, and take her picture. I just want to put my finger in her palm. Let that infant grabbing reflex do its thing...so she can clutch my finger and know I love her and will see her soon. Its what I've wanted more than anything from the start. As long as I can do that, as long as I know she's in safe hands, I will manage just fine.

The doctor went on to say repeatedly that a c-section is major surgery. It isn't like a cut on your hand. It involves layers of muscle and flesh. He said that the day of surgery I will only be allowed to go to NICU for 30 minutes and then only if a nurse accompanies me. I have to be monitored etc. So, that is good info to know too. I guess I'm trying not to think about any discomfort I'll be in as a result of the c-section....but there it is. Something I'll need to deal with. And I will.

I am so excited, though, that she will be here in only 20 days!!!  The doc did day I could bring my camera into the operating room and do a photo shoot of her to show everybody later. lol. I love her so much!!!! Can't hardly wait.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you got a lot of your questions answered!! Is a vaginal birth out of the question? You have to do whatever you feel safest/best with, but that would give you more NICU time with her in the beginning. Either way, she will be amazing and perfect. I can't wait to "meet" her soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have repeatedly been advised against a v-birth. Though I'm familiar with the studies showing no real difference in outcomes between the two. Still, the c-section is what both I and my husband feel most comfortable with so we will just live with the consequences for me of being limited the first few days. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i had a c-section with my first child. they really arent all that bad. yes, its major surgery, but in the grand scheme of things, not so awful. more an inconvenience since they basically sever your sitting up muscles. not the most comfortable recovery, but could be worse. ill be having a c-section in december...a vaginal birth is not an option with or without SB for me, so i am playing the hand i was dealt. best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete