Friday, August 26, 2011

Pre-C-section appointments/Monday Schedule

Well, I've done it. I've gone to my last appointment before baby! woooooo! Before now, I thought the trips back and forth to various physicians would never end. But apparently, for now at least, I have reprieve!

I admit, on the weekend before my birthing experience, and after consulting with my doctors again, I've had a few second thoughts. Ideas of perhaps waiting a week....you know to "give her more time". Truth be told, I've had my doubts a few times about this whole c-section business, but the bottom line is- she's in there and she's gotta come out somehow. Since science has yet to create a pain free way to extract one human being from another, I suppose I better just man up (or woman up, if you will) and simply go through with it on Monday as planned.  Its not like I won't have a solid support system in place.

The plan is prepared. The people are poised and ready.  All systems go...and all that jazz. From what I can tell, Monday will go a little something like this:

1) 8am arrive at MFM office to have amnio to check for fetal lung maturity. They must do this for any baby born before 39 weeks (even though at 37 weeks, 5days she isn't considered premature, its better safe than sorry). I am told that her fluid levels are good. They will have no problems drawing the sample.
2) By 10am-ish, they should have the results back from the amnio. If her lungs show maturity, I will go down to the first floor (where I have already pre-registered) and get admitted to the hospital.
3) They will wheel me to the maternity/NICU floor where I will wait for a bit because waiting is what people do in hospitals.
4) At some point, I will get my epidural. Getting stuck in the back with a long needle and rendered unable to move from the waist down does not equate to a happy moment in my book, but it is necessary, Perhaps, like the amnio needle, the pain will be brief and mild.
5)Assuming that there are no emergencies that take precedence, at noon they will take me to the c-section room that adjoins the NICU. I hope that while I'm laying there I get some feel good medicine in my IV. Otherwise it will be creepy to feel the pressure of what they are doing on the other side of the curtain but have nothing to do but lay there, stare at the ceiling, and try to control my heart rate. But feel good meds or not, it will all be over soon. My doctor will do the c-section procedure and I will hear my baby's voice for the first time.I will see her briefly before they take her to NICU.
6) I will be sewn back up (no staples, just disolvable stitches and some sticky tape stuff) and will be taken to a recovery room until such time as I can move my legs and feet. My prayer is that they feed me that this point. Being pregnant makes a person hungry and I can only imagine that after that long with no food and drink, I'll be jonsing for some jello and water at least. ;)
7) Theoretically during the hours I'm in recovery, the neurosurgeon will have time to go to NICU and evaluate Evangeline. When he does, he will report back to us. I suppose this visit could happen at any time and may not happen till Tuesday, but I find that scenario unlikely as the closure surgery its self will likely take place Tuesday.
8) Once I can wiggle my toes, I will be taken to the post-partum floor and assigned a room. At some point thereafter I will be taken by a nurse to NICU for a 30 minute visit.  At some other point at present yet unknown, I will also be meeting with a lactation consultant as I'll need to begin pumping right away to ensure food for the wee one.
9) Try to mentally keep up with BJ who will doubtless be strutting down the hallways, showing off his hospital security bracelet that ID's him as a dad, and taking pictures of his baby every time she sneezes or poops. I will be so happy to see him like this, but trying to keep up with his rounds will no doubt make me sleepy, which will lead to the last item on my list...
10) Sleep.

Monday promises to be a VERY busy day but one I hope I can handle if I just look at it one step at a time, ignoring all the others while I'm completing the one I'm on at the moment.  When I do the amnio, the amnio will be all I'm there for. When I get the epidural, I'll tell myself all I have to do is be still. When I'm getting the c-section, I tell myself to be quiet, that all I'm doing is listening for the sound of her breath. I hope this technique works for me. Just  existing in the moment. Either way, whether my stress reduction technique works or not, the baby will get here. And all that other stuff will happen, one way or another. By Tuesday/Wed. there should be some sort of update with pics so I can share my excitement with the world about being a mom!!

3 comments:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY0JMB4MqWM

    Praying for you and little Evangeline! ~Austin Dolby

    ReplyDelete
  2. oohhh, I hope it all worked...I have had steroid shots for my back which are just like epidurals, so that much I can feel ur pain, the rest I have no idea having never given birth any which way...my chihuahua is a daughter from another mother:D
    hugs, deby

    ReplyDelete