Sunday, August 14, 2011

Stoopid

So, you see in all the movies, the women who rush to the hospital with braxton hicks contractions only to find out it's false labor. Well, I didn't rush off to the hospital, but I darn sure called my doctor when I had some mild but frequent contractions beginning Wed evening. By Thursday morning, I couldn't ignore the worry any longer. They were irregular but happening more than 6 times an hour. They were low in my stomach, hurt my back too and while not intense, functioned like the proverbial Chinese water torture...both physically and mentally. As a first time mother, (who has nothing to compare anything to) of a child who would best be served (according to her doctors) with a c-section birth, after a while, I cracked....you know, a little bit. I told myself it was probably nothing since they were irregular, but I called my doc anyway. I came in and they did a Non-Stress test which consisted of hooking me up to this belt that monitored my contractions and baby's heartbeat. They also checked my cervix to see if after my contractions it was still closed. Thank God, it was! I felt like one of those old clunker cars that has all kind of problems until you get it to the garage and then the mechanic finds nothing wrong. "Bring it back when it happens again, Ma'am." Don't get me wrong, I am VERY glad that Evangeline isn't going to be born at 35 weeks! I just wish I had been able to keep waiting to see what transpired...to see if the contractions got regular or not.  Since then, I have had more contractions. Not as frequent yesterday (Saturday), but they sure don't worry me as much now that I know they aren't actually leading anywhere.  I have two appointments next week, my weekly with my OB and my monthly with my MFM. I have to admit, Im going to feel a little stupid going into my OB's office after wasting their time, but at least now I know that no damage is being done from these piddly little contractions. And what did GI Joe always tell me growing up? "Knowing is half the battle!"  I do wish he'd specified what the other half consisted of ......hmmmmm.......

1 comment: