Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Encamped

There are women who spend months on end with their babies in NICU and progressive care wards. I admire them. In just two weeks, I've slipped a cog. Seriously. I'd like to introduce you to Charlie. He's helping me on my quest.
Charlie works for the hospital, you see, but he's on my side. And please, don't mention how strongly he resembles Charlie Chaplin. It only embarrasses him.  At any rate, its been a tough week for both Charlie and myself. When my hubby came by last night to take me off property for a bit, I was very hesitant to leave. He had tried unsuccessfully for the last three nights to take me out to dinner somewhere other than the hospital cafeteria. Last night he was more determined than ever to help me escape. But how can you escape from a place you choose to be? I think sometimes as a woman its hard to explain an emotion to a man- an emotion that goes waaaaay beyond logic and reason but is so strong it's more true than either of those other concepts- as tangible as matter itself. And last night every fiber of my most primitive being screamed- CAN NOT GO.  No logic. No reason. Just clear, simple, brute force of will spurred on by a set of emotions that will forever defy a name.  Finally, I decided to explain it to him like this:
Him: It will do you good, princess. You have been cooped up here too long.
Me: I can't. I'm encamped.
Him: Encamped?
Me: Yeah, you know. You play video games. You watch war movies. I'm encamped. I'm laying siege to their fortress. You don't just up an leave an encampment, do you?
Him: *thoughtful for a moment* It's just that you know, I heard a rumor that there are still such things as trees and fresh air outside.
Me: That's not what my spies tell me.
Him: You have spies?
Me: Sure. You don't think I'm encamped by myself do you? Can't lay a proper siege without troops. I have an army. Very loyal. They obey without question.
Him: *Looking around at my invisible troops.* I would imagine. You likely execute dissenters.
Me: Yup. It maintains order.
Him: Well, how bout you just place some troops on guard or something while you and I go make a supply run?
Me: Well, actually I've already got snipers strategically positioned on the look out for invading shunts, but the snipers are an unusual sort. Require constant supervision.
Him: Yet you give them guns?
Me: Of course, they're the best shunt-killers around. Besides their weapons only kill medical equipment. Specially designed.
Him: *sigh*

Now before you worry too much, my spouse is at least as stubborn as I am crazy and he did manage to talk me into a short excursion. And it did help.  Its a been a real roller-coaster ride these past few days and leaving did give me some perspective on the situation and I think I'm a better general for it. As a matter of fact, we may be winning the siege. The opposing generals, er, I mean, hospital staff tell me that I may be going home in the next day or two- WITH my faithful lieutenant Evangeline in tow. We never, ever, leave an officer behind!  Also, we have officially won the battle of the cathing. She has proven to them she can go pee-pee on her own and so the catheter is no longer needed!
At the moment, the fluid build-up in her back is stable. They tell me that its a small leak from her spinal cord sack where it was stitched back together during the repair. Since the fluid buildup is not growing, they feel that it will heal on its own and the leak will stop given time. Of course, then the issue becomes, if the excess isn't draining off through the small leak in her back, will the body begin to absorb it as it should, or will it back up and begin to collect in the brain necessitating a shunt? At the moment, that answer is unclear. I have alerted the shunt-snipers to be ready.

All kidding aside, I am glad that I'm not fighting this battle alone. I take orders from a great General and I believe with all my heart that He has a plan and a strategy that He would have us follow. It may not be what I envision, but until He tells me otherwise, I will believe for the best outcome I can dream of. There is an old hymn called "Faith is the Victory" that goes like this:

Encamped along the hills of light,

Ye Christian soldiers, rise.
And press the battle ere the night
Shall veil the glowing skies.
Against the foe in vales below
Let all our strength be hurled.
Faith is the victory, we know,
That overcomes the world.

So that's the update folks. More "wait and see" Bottom line: I know not where we march from here, but I know that Victory will be ever in our sights!


2 comments:

  1. yes, the evil catheters have been defeated...I think that this deserves a victory salute...I will inform my troops immediately...hopefully, u were able to go on another quick supply run so that morale in the camp doesn't get down in the dumps...I would hate Charlie 2 win...watch out for Charlie at all costs...he may look innocent, but when u least expect it, he will turn up the volume & wake up the entire infantry...then no one will get anymore sleep... ugh c'est la vie, deby

    ReplyDelete