Sunday, September 11, 2011

Graduation

Wow!  Graduating at only 4 days old! She sure knows how to make a mommy proud.  Our NICU has two levels of care, and our little Evangeline is graduating today to the less intense level.  She'll be on NICU side B!  So far she is eating 3 oz. per feeding and has been taken off all IV fluids and the yucky old IV in her scalp has been removed. She is regulating her own temperature. When I go in tomorrow I will be able to bring her hats, socks and shirts as well as blankets to wrap her in that look more befitting of a princess than the hospital blue and white ones. So far she's only been in soft, homey blankets when I go to feed her; they haven't allowed them in her bed.
As for other info, there is still a lot we don't know. That's all typical, I suppose, for life in the NICU.  Uncertainty and lots of scrubbing are the only guarantees. lol.
For instance, we have noticed when changing her that she doesn't have what's called an "anal wink". That is a term used to describe an automatic tightening of the sphincter muscle when something brushes up near it. This lack of response would indicate problems with bowels, but for more information I will need to speak with neurosurgery. Now, her other bottom regions do show sensation since she wiggles away from the wet wipe; I think that's a positive sign. The soft spot on her head is still soft, which it would NOT be if there were fluids building in her brain so that bit of news indicates a continued lack of hydrocephalus.  :) Still no word from genetics, orthopedics or urology. Hopefully sometime this coming week I'll have an opportunity to find out when we are supposed to meet with them and who else may have been called in on consult.

As for me, I've certainly done better physically but I am blessed to be going along as well as I am. Lots of prayers have helped. So has the fact that I'm so motivated to get down to NICU to see my baby. As any mom can tell you, personal comfort or discomfort is no longer a deciding factor in how we live our lives.
As of tonight though, our little family of three is sleeping under three different roofs and that is hard for me... just as hard if not harder than the physical challenge. I am staying at my Mom's house (That's her in the above picture) because after the c-section I cannot climb the steps to get to our place (we live on a boat at the harbor where we work- Both Bj and I work at a Maritime Academy/High School). Also, I cannot drive, so she will be helping me make the 1 hour trip from her place to the Hospital. Bj is sleeping aboard our beloved LaSalona (our boat/home-sweet-home). And Evangeline, of course, is resting happily in NICU.  I know its only a matter of time before we are all together at last, but right now I'm sad.  I won't really be seeing hubby again till the weekend. (Thankfully he has this coming weekend off!) We will both be taking 4 hour shifts at Baptist so that our lovey one gets plenty of holding and affection. I'll be there for the 11am and 2pm feedings. Bj will attend the 5pm and 8pm ones.  For now its the best we can do. Fortunately, I am believing that her NICU stay will not be prolonged so this physically and emotionally challenging time has an end in sight.

Right now, I am asking for prayer for some very specific things. 
1) That she continues to show lack of hydrocephalus and does not require a shunt. This prayer will be on-going as she must be monitored daily. As I mentioned before the greatest risk is the first month (though it can happen later on). 
2) That despite her current lack of reflex, she has full control of her bowels and bladder by time for potty training. (if not sooner!)
3) That all the doctors I need to meet in order to make the proper connections for her care fall into place for me. The process of being referred, doing evaluations, getting more referrals etc can be agonizingly slow and confusing. I need God to give me wisdom and strength as well as favor with the right people who can help me and answer my questions.

I just want to say thanks again to everybody for their continued support and prayer. God does miracles everyday. I'm in the middle of my miracle!  Which, when you think about it, is probably the wackiest, messiest place you could ever hope to be. I mean, I wonder what Moses thought as he was walking through the Red Sea with water piled on both sides, just teetering there unnaturally and ominously as he hurried  on as fast as he could to the other side... bet it wasn't "Hey! Cool! A miracle is happening!"  It was probably more like "Holy $#@! what have I got myself into?" Personally, I don't want to miss a moment of my miracle...because in retrospect this time, (even though I can't always see it clearly now)  will make an awesome story of the power, love and grace of God.

Abraham never wavered in believing God’s promise. In fact, his faith grew stronger, and in this he brought glory to God. He was fully convinced that God is able to do whatever He promises. Romans 4:20-21




 

3 comments:

  1. How is the nursing coming along? I found that having a picture of Ciarlo in front of me helped with the let down for pumping. Also pumping as often as possible, including pumping after EVERY feed. It was very tiring but totally worth it. Breast is best! I also slept in the NICU on the chair even though I was in pain from the c section so I could nurse himbevery time. I didn't let them get near him with the bottles. The more your boobs get nursed by her the more milk you will make. The pump is not as effective as a baby! They are little super suckers !!!! Praying for you:-) -Kira

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANKS Kira for the prayer and support. The nursing is coming along nicely. I had stopped producing even drops on Saturday and was freaking out a little, but yesterday (Sunday) I was averaging 5MLs from each breast each pump. It was kinda pitiful but I was proud/excited that things were flowing even in small amounts. Today I have doubled that to 10ML each. Persistance pays off I suppose! Its still not touching the amount she needs but I'm not giving up. :) And every little bit counts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Moses visual! YeS! You so hit it on the head and you are right...right in the midst of the miracle IS the wackiest messiest place there is! And how many ppl give up and throw in the towel not REALIZING they are living their miracle but because they haven't seen things unfold the way THEY want to...on THEIR timeline then they assume God must not be working or have another plan. No...keep on going!!! It's not always the way we plan but His plans are better, though not always easier. And you never know...the very thing we hope for might be JUST around the next bend. Standing with you and praying for that anal wink!!!! :) Such a funny word...and yet I know it well.

    Val Uria

    ReplyDelete