Thursday, September 8, 2011

Surgery Day

Well, what a day! I regret that I have been unable to get back individually with everybody who has enquired about the surgery but time factors and my energy levels have simply not allowed me to do that. However, I will endeavor to give the info I do have here in the blog.

To begin with, today has been beyond difficult for me. My incision is larger than average owing to my wonderful doc's desire to keep the pressure off of Evangeline's back during "extraction". It is a decision I wholeheartedly agree with and a price I am more than willing to pay, but paying is what I have been doing. The incision is abt. a foot long and simply standing up is an act unto itself. I have been having issues due to low blood pressure (last reading at 94/56) and so I get really light headed, my vision narrows and without the help of an icy cold cloth, I would probably loose consciousness from a simple walk to the bathroom. I can sit up for limited periods of time and get exhausted just from my attempts to pump milk for the baby. 

I did get to go see Evangeline as they were taking her back to surgery. Bj pushed me in my wheelchair and we followed her to the holding room/ pre-op area and chatted with some of the docs and nurses who would be assisting in her surgery. We said a prayer for her as they wheeled her back.  The surgery went wonderfully according to the neurosurgeon. They were able to sew up many layers and there was plenty of skin to cover the incision without having to resort to a skin graft etc. The muscle layer was not large enough to sew together which is not unusual, but the fascia (connective tissue layer over the muscle) went together beautifully. They found only one nerve on the right side that terminated into a dead end, but there were several on the left side which explains the fact that her right leg seems stronger and her right foot reacted more to my touch. But don't count her left leg out folks!  Its nothing a little PT and determination won't fix.

At the moment she still has no hydro and the surgeon explained his plan for checking daily to ensure nothing develops and escapes our notice. Orthopedics will also be along to check her out and her urodynamics study has been ordered and will be scheduled for when she's recovered. Sometime tomorrow a geneticist will be stopping by. I have no idea what to expect from that consult but it should be interesting. A social worker also stopped by this afternoon. She will help connect Bj and I to services Evangeline must be referred to in order to receive.... like a medicaid program for kids with special needs or local early intervention services to get her PT/OT going after an evaluation. She will also help us file for SSI to see if Evangeline qualifies. Considering the fact I still haven't totally decided on who Evangeline's pediatrician is going to be, obviously I could use all the help I can get.  I am also supposed to be getting in touch with the local SB clinic, but I don't think there is a rush on that.

I am feeling a bit down as I could have breast fed her tonight. It was a wonderful surprise that the doc would let her eat so soon after going under general anesthetic. After hearing the good news, I dashed (well Bj dashed as he pushed me in my chair) from NICU (where we went to see her post-op...she looked so peaceful, just like always) back to my room to put on something button-down and breast-feeding friendly.  Regrettably, when trying to wash up, I almost blacked out again and had to sit down quickly or fall down. BJ put his foot down and insisted that I rest rather than go back downstairs to try feeding her. They only have one small bottle I have managed to pump, which makes me sad, but BJ assures me that she will snack on that and be satisfied until I feel better early tomorrow morning and can go to her at last.

It is sooooo important to me that I be able to go in the morning! I am confident that I will!! The nurse will be in soon to check my vitals and my hope is that my BP will begin a steady climb. Meantime I cannot say enough thank-yous to Bj for being there through everything today- including the removal of that tape/dressing....OUCH! I could not be as comfortable as I am without his constant assistance. Also, for anybody whose proposed visit got rescheduled today- I am sorry, I do still love you and I appreciate your patience during this somewhat overwhelming time. 

5 comments:

  1. Praying for you & Evangeline! Praise God for the things he has already done in your lives! Get some rest, and I'm praying you'll be plenty strong to be able to nurse that precious baby of yours. It's so amazing. To God be the glory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry, you will get there soon enough! If you can have a lactation consultant there when you first nurse her, it's a big help (or it was with madi). Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, You are such a strong woman and I admire that. You are AMAZING! I am praying for you and Evangeline everyday. BJ is awesome and I know God is with all three of you. BLESSING to you always! Sincerely, Gloria~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa, I know you want to be with Evangeline every moment of every day. (Trust me I know!) But it is important for yourself to be healthy as well (imagine if you did pass out in the NICU).
    Pumping in the first couple of days is upsetting because you expect to get lots and you don't. I remember getting drops. Then on day 3 I could fill up a container! I was over the moon! (It is actually easier to hand express the colustrum, than to pump it). Like Jamie said there should be a lactation consultant on staff who can help you.
    But your body needs to heal, you need to heal and be ready to take care of her when she comes home. Rest when you need to and don't forget your pain medication as needed.
    Sounds like her surgery went well and I'm sooo glad to hear that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Take care of yourself! Hope you heal quickly so you can take care of your angel.

    ReplyDelete