Thursday, September 8, 2011

Happy Birthday!!!

Well, we arrived at the hospital very early this morning and everything with the epidural and c-section went as planned. Bj was a great support for me and held my hand any time he could. Because the surgical drape was so low, he could see the entire surgery which was a creepy thought for me, but apparently didn't bother him. She came out with one disgruntled cry and promptly peed on the nurse holding her. They didn't put her in the incubator as originally planned to push her by me so I could snap pics, it was more of a "Here's your baby!" blur near my face and then the sound of a closing NICU door. I was disappointed to say the least, but fortunately BJ nabbed plenty of pics and a video for me to ogle just a short time later while I was in recovery.

Every time he visited her he brought back more photos. It held me over till I could see her myself. I was cleared to do so sometime around 9pm!  Wow, was that awesome. :)


All in all, she is doing GREAT! I am so proud of my hark-haired princess. Her legs kick. She has good ankle movement in one direction and "not-so-good" in the other, but hey, its there! She responds when I tickle the bottom of her feet. She's going poo poo and pee pee on her own. I plan to inquire tomorrow (once I finally get a chance to speak with her surgeon) when a urodynamics study will be performed so that we have a clear picture of what is going on with that.  Of course hydrocephalus can occur either in utero or within the weeks, months or even years after closure surgery, requiring the need for a shunt. The greatest risk is within the first month or so after surgery. She had no hydro in utero and we are praying and believing that she will not need a shunt after closure, but that is a process of monitoring (and continually believing for the best!). I also hope to get with the surgeon to discuss his strategy for monitoring the fluids in her vents. There are several methods for doing this and the nurses in NICU give random answers to that question when I ask them, so I can only assume its physician specific as to protocol.

What else? I know they have taken x-rays but am not sure what, if anything, they revealed. I am sure they used the x-rays at least in part to check for hip dysplasa and I'd like to verify that there isn't anything there I need to be concerned about. I have so many questions right now and it seems as if only her surgeon has the answers. Talking to him is HIGH on my list of priorities, but I will wait till after the surgery which is scheduled for 2:15. I know that once I speak to him,  I will feel better informed so that I can verify and follow up with my daughter's care.

Lastly, I am so pleased that she is bigger than they predicted. It does me good to see the chub in her cheeks! I am a very lucky mommy to have been given so perfect a baby to love.  Not only that, but I have amazingly supportive friends and family. I thank you all from the bottom of my heart for all your thoughts, prayers and encouraging words!! May you each be blessed!

5 comments:

  1. Ahh, she's precious! And it sounds like she's doing GREAT!
    One word of caution: Do not ask the NICU nurses many questions about SB. They will scare you.
    I hope you heal well. Take it easy and remember to take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! She is beautiful! I love the full head of hair- so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SHe is just so perfect! Happy day of birth, amazing girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! Beautiful baby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these pics...they r 2 cute...hugs, deby

    ReplyDelete