Tuesday, September 27, 2011

First Pediatrician Visit

Is it possible to be proud of a doctor's visit? Pride should come from something you do, not something you have. But I happen to have a great little girl who makes me float on air; I'm so pleased to be her mother that I can't help but let it go to my head when people complement her. I didn't do anything really, but sometimes I let myself steal credit. Why yes, she is beautiful, thank you very much! I chose those eyes especially because they go perfectly with her lips. Seriously though, somebody should get the credit and for me it all goes to God. I wish sometimes that I could hug Him. Because I would.

Today God especially gets the credit because her pediatrician was so pleased with her. First off, let me say we have a GREAT pediatrician. He is well versed with spina bifida as he has other SB babies currently in his care and has seen many more than that during the length of his practice. He is in practice by himself with just his nurse practitioners etc and so he takes time to get to know every patient. Love him! and think he's the perfect choice for my darling. The fact that he's like 15 minutes away is just a super nice bonus!

Well, why was her pedi so pleased you ask?  Well, let me count the ways. He was pleased to begin with by her head control for her age. He was pleased by her strength in her legs. He stood her up to see how she put weight on her legs and she was strong for a baby without SB. She showed off later for him and pointed her toes. When he asked if she peed or just dribbled/leaked all day I told him she peed just fine. To prove my point, when he was examining her, her diaper fell down and she peed a puddle for him on the table. Take That! I think I heard her say.

She was born 7lbs 1oz and in her 20 days of life has grown to a whopping 9lbs. Wow. Yes, she does have dimples on her elbows and fat rolls on her fat rolls.  I loves me some baby chub! We are trying a new formula that the doctor recommended. Its Enfamil AR, that has rice added in to thicken the formula in the baby's stomach  to help prevent spit up. (she had lots of spit up with her old formula!) There is always a chance she just cant break down the milk, so we may try soy next if this one is a bust. He said with some babies its all trial and error.

All in all, I am so exited by how she is doing. And so very, very thankful for all of it.  As an added bonus, I asked the doctor today about her poop. She used to go All. The. Time. Every diaper change had poop in it. Now she skips some. The doctor said this is normal. Normal! And since she grunts when she goes she must be able to feel something. Yay for sensation! 

Finally, after being weighed, examined and oohed and ahhed over, princess was ready to GO!  She was fussy the rest of the afternoon because her sleep pattern had been interrupted.  That's the price you pay, I suppose,  for superstardom. That and paparazzi. And tons of kisses from mommy. <3

4 comments:

  1. Yeah for a great appointment, and she is so darn cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word, Lisa. I cried. So many prayers being answered. I can't wait to meet your precious princess. Kiss her for me and pass the kisses to your hubby, Bill, and Faith too. :)Make BJ kiss YOU for me!
    Love Irma Fruci xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. The second pic looks like she is saying, what u were worried?....she is so cute...ok, have 2 sleep a couple hours, I have read thru September, will read, oct, nov, & dec in a few hours...eyes will no longr stay open..it is 3:21 am here/5:21 am your time...need sleep now have been up for like 55 hours now I think, if I can think...
    deby

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww! Your little princess is so cute! Anyone who reads your post will truly feel how proud you were of her during her first visit with her doctor. Her gaining weight was such a good news that I know she would grow up healthy and well. It’s been more than a year now, how is little Evangeline doing? =)

    Chalice Lindgren

    ReplyDelete